[clue-tech] Samba and Windows 7

Dan Harris dan at drivefaster.net
Mon Jan 4 14:16:10 MST 2010

On 1/4/10 1:40 PM, Clayton Fast wrote:
> I replaced a Win XP PC with a Windows 7 PC and can no longer print to
> a shared printer on the Windows 7 PC from my Linux Centos 5 server.
> The configuration on the server was not changed.  The Samba version is
> 3.0.28-1.el5_2.1.  I don't believe it is a firewall issue because I
> can connect to the printer (and print) from another PC on the
> network.  I also temporarily disabled the firewall on the Windows 7 PC
> with no success.
> I've unsuccessfully searched for a solution.  Nothing I've tried has
> made any difference.
> Does anyone have this working?  Does anyone have any ideas on how I
> can resolve the problem?
> Thanks,
> Clay

I think the issue is that Windows 7 and Vista use a more strict
authentication.  To get Windows to play nice with Samba, you need to
"downgrade" the Windows authentication to the old method:

http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Windows7

The article is for domain logon support, but I think this still applies
to your printer sharing problem.  I had a similar issue trying to get
Vista to print a while back.