[clue-tech] Samba and Windows 7

Mike Staver staver at fimble.com
Tue Jan 19 13:14:56 MST 2010

> On 1/4/10 1:40 PM, Clayton Fast wrote:
>> I replaced a Win XP PC with a Windows 7 PC and can no longer print to
>> a shared printer on the Windows 7 PC from my Linux Centos 5 server.
>> The configuration on the server was not changed.  The Samba version is
>> 3.0.28-1.el5_2.1.  I don't believe it is a firewall issue because I
>> can connect to the printer (and print) from another PC on the
>> network.  I also temporarily disabled the firewall on the Windows 7 PC
>> with no success.
>> I've unsuccessfully searched for a solution.  Nothing I've tried has
>> made any difference.
>> Does anyone have this working?  Does anyone have any ideas on how I
>> can resolve the problem?
>> Thanks,
>> Clay
>>
> I think the issue is that Windows 7 and Vista use a more strict
> authentication.  To get Windows to play nice with Samba, you need to
> "downgrade" the Windows authentication to the old method:
>
> http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Windows7
>
> The article is for domain logon support, but I think this still applies
> to your printer sharing problem.  I had a similar issue trying to get
> Vista to print a while back.

I can also say that I've had major headaches with Vista/Win7 and Samba.
The last time I looked at it was about 2 or 3 years ago now - pretty much
when Vista first came out. I had some music on a windows vista box, and I
had previously been running XP on it.  I used to have an original Xbox
running XBMC that I would access the windows box with to stream music or
let the kids watch home movies I had pulled off the camcorder.  The minute
I "upgraded" to Vista, the samba share I had set up quit working.  Like
others have said, one option is changing windows to use the legacy type
network authentication.  I thought I remember another option though, and
if I'm remembering correctly, it had to do with a newer version of Samba.
What version are you currently using?