[clue-tech] Arch Linux

Jason Ash wizardofki at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 14:33:26 MST 2010

Hi everyone. Thanks for your advice and troubleshooting on my Gentoo X
server error. Since it was being a pain, I decided to try Arch Linux
instead as Dennis suggested. Following the beginner's guide,
installation was easy and it reminded me of Slackware. It took me a
whole day to install the base system, configure, and install X, KDE,
and go-openoffice. This is what I do in my free time being unemployed
at the moment is try out different distros, but I learn something new
every time so it's worth it. Arch seems to be as fast as Gentoo and it
really breaks down the packages so you can install only what you want
(i.e. certain KDE apps but not others). Another advantage is that like
most distros, it just installs the binary, so KDE didn't take 26+
hours to download and compile. I used the same driver with Arch as I
was trying with Gentoo, but Arch made it easier to set up and it
works. A big plus is that starting it up with the KDM was easy, so now
I have a graphical log in. Jason Ash.