[clue-tech] Arch Linux

Michael Irons michael.irons at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 22:06:03 MST 2010

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 9:44 PM, Matt Gushee <matt at gushee.net> wrote:

> Hi, Michael--
>
> On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 14:44 -0700, "Michael Irons"
> <michael.irons at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I was thinking of going back to gentoo, but was dreading
> > compiling the large packages. Arch was another distro I was
> > looking at trying, but had reservations. I may have to try it
> > after all.
>
> +1 for Arch. I've been using it for about 4 years and am very satisfied.
> I'd be interested to know what your reservations were, though.
>
> By the way, if you are going to get into Arch, you should be aware that
> system upgrades are occasionally unsafe (e.g. when there is a new
> kernel, changes to udev, or that kind of thing). I have learned through
> unpleasant experience to *always* (1) read the news items at
> archlinux.org before upgrading, and (2) look through /var/log/pacman.log
> for any errors or warnings immediately after upgrading (i.e., before
> rebooting). That way you will usually find out about any manual
> reconfiguration you may need to do to keep your system usable.

That is exactly why....

I  am currently going to school... CS and Math... and need a distro that I
know won't flake out on me... Kubuntu hasn't flaked out on me yet (Not
including Major version upgrades... but I don't do those when I am not
prepared).
Even though I disagree with kubuntu's decisions on various implementations,
I still know that if the worst happens (HD failure, completely hosed system,
etc).. I can get everything up and running in short order.

If it were not for school... I would not have any problem with Arch. For now
I will probably stick with kubuntu for the school year (starts tomorrow),
but I will definitely be shopping to upgrade when I get my next break

Mike