[clue-tech] Arch Linux

Matt Gushee matt at gushee.net
Tue Jan 19 19:13:05 MST 2010

Hi, Mike--

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 22:06 -0700, "Michael Irons"
<michael.irons at gmail.com> wrote:

  By the way, if you are going to get into Arch, you should be
  aware that
  system upgrades are occasionally unsafe (e.g. when there is a
  new
  kernel, changes to udev, or that kind of thing).

That is exactly why....

I  am currently going to school... CS and Math... and need a
distro that I know won't flake out on me...

That makes sense. I'm not going to say you're wrong to be
cautious, but I wouldn't say that
Arch "flakes out," rather that, in keeping with its minimalist
philosophy, it places more
responsibility on the user. As far as I can remember, every time
I've had a serious problem
after an upgrade, it was because I had failed to read the
relevant news items or to follow
some recommended procedure.

--
Matt Gushee