[clue-tech] Arch Linux

Michael Irons michael.irons at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 06:00:01 MST 2010

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 7:13 PM, Matt Gushee <matt at gushee.net> wrote:

>  Hi, Mike--
>
> On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 22:06 -0700, "Michael Irons" <michael.irons at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>  By the way, if you are going to get into Arch, you should be aware that
> system upgrades are occasionally unsafe (e.g. when there is a new
> kernel, changes to udev, or that kind of thing).
>

> That is exactly why....
>
> I  am currently going to school... CS and Math... and need a distro that I
> know won't flake out on me...
>

> That makes sense. I'm not going to say you're wrong to be cautious, but I
> wouldn't say that
> Arch "flakes out," rather that, in keeping with its minimalist philosophy,
> it places more
> responsibility on the user. As far as I can remember, every time I've had a
> serious problem
> after an upgrade, it was because I had failed to read the relevant news
> items or to follow
> some recommended procedure.
>

> My apologies... "flakes out" was the wrong term.

Like I have stated before... Gentoo was one of my favorite distributions,
but I moved away from it once I had to too many things going on (FT Job, FT
school)... I don't have time to read every precaution... or tinker with
every setting, although that is what I really want to do. Although there are
many differences between Arch and gentoo, it looks like a great compromise
between those who do no not want to spend time compiling everything. Arch
definitely peeks my interes... It is just not the right time

If I can't be reasonably sure that an minor upgrade won't leave my system
unusable... it is unfortunately too unstable for me while I am going to
school. The issue isn't whether I would have the skills to be able to fix
it, but whether I would have time to fix it in my hectic schedule.... I am
not a newbie, but I am not a linux kung fu master yet... Add FT school (18
credits) where I have to spend countless hours programming code... it is
just not a good idea.

So yes, I am being a wimp and taking the easy safe route... but I have
decided that is the smart thing to do at the moment. Arch may be the perfect
distro for me... once I can spare the occasional debugging session when *I
don't RTFM correctly.* Which is bound to happen

I also agree with Dennis... one distro doesn't fit all... I have started
with Redhat 6  for several years with gnome, moved to debian, gentoo, and
the kubuntu with a few random jaunts in between. Now I have outgrown/grown
tired of kubuntu... We will see where we end up next....

Mike Irons