[clue-tech] Arch Linux

dennisjperkins at comcast.net dennisjperkins at comcast.net
Tue Jan 19 10:26:33 MST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bruce Ediger" <bediger at stratigery.com>
To: "CLUE technical discussion" <clue-tech at cluedenver.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 9:20:13 AM GMT -07:00 US/Canada Mountain
Subject: Re: [clue-tech] Arch Linux

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010, Dennis J Perkins wrote:

> Linux is not "one distro fits all". Find one that fits your needs. You can
> always migrate to another one as your needs and wants change.

Hear, hear! Bravo! I think that I (at least) tend to forget this sort of thing,
even though I've done it multiple times.

I started with NetBSD, moved to SuSE 7.3, waffled a bit at SuSE 8.0, moved to
SlackWare, tried CentOS but stayed with SlackWare, built an LFS system but
stayed with SlackWare, currently trying Arch. I also use HP-UX and Solaris
at work. Code I write in one place almost always works everywhere, except
for the dreadful HP-UX anachronistic "make" and "c89".

I have Arch on my netbook and desktop machine. I'm thinking of replacing Ubuntu with Arch on my laptop. When I'm done experimenting with LFS, I might install an LFS-based system on my laptop again. Or dual boot Arch and LFS.

Recently, I've been finding that some packages I want are part of Arch but either missing or old on Ubuntu. If Arch doesn't have it, it looks like it might be easier for me to create an Arch build script for that package.