[clue-tech] Re: Arch Linux

Jason Ash wizardofki at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 17:29:00 MST 2010

Mike,

Nobody is going to blame you for sticking to a safe, easy to use
distro such as Kubuntu while in school. 18 credits is hectic for sure.
I used OpenSuse most of my time in biology graduate school, but when
the upgrade from 11.0 to 11.1 rendered my laptop nearly inoperable,
changing to Ubuntu even during winter break was like major surgery
(getting to know a new distro, reinstalling all of my apps, restoring
my backup files). I still use Ubuntu on my main desktop (dual boot
with Windows XP), on my spare desktop (dual boot with Gentoo that I'm
trying), and on my laptop (dual boot with Arch that I'm trying).
There's no way I would have had time to try out other distros let
alone tinker with Gentoo or Arch and still pass and graduate. There's
a lot to be said for the ease and peace of mind that comes with
distros that work out of the box. Also, I'll just stick with the
binary upgrades of Arch for now instead of making it into another
Gentoo (whose ceaseless compiling is beginning to annoy me).

Jason Ash