[clue-tech] Linux vs. Windows security

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Fri Jan 22 07:35:43 MST 2010

Jason Ash wrote:
> Moreover, a system is only as secure as the administrator overseeing it.

So you know where the weakest link is...

> Funny that she feels this way given that our Windows XP desktop has been hit by three viruses
> described as identity-stealing ones in the past year.

...and you should probably start fixing holes with the weakest first. ;-)

My advice: don't discuss security with your fiancee.  You might talk about what actions users have
to take (do your Windows and virus updates, don't open Office files from others (even people you
trust because you don't know how they handle viruses)).  If she uses Linux you can make a similar
list for that but just explain how to avoid risky behavior.