[clue-tech] Fwd: external hard drive caddies with ethernet not SATA interconnect?

YES NOPE9 yes at nope9.com
Fri Jul 2 13:13:03 MDT 2010

From: webmaster at graphmangraphics.com
Date: July 2, 2010 12:24:36 PM MDT
To: "CLUE technical discussion" <clue-tech at cluedenver.org>
Subject: Re: [clue-tech] external hard drive caddies with ethernet not

http://www.amazon.com/ENCL-1P-Attached-Enclosure-Ethernet-KNDM-ENCL/dp/B0032HETIC
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [clue-tech] external hard drive caddies with ethernet not SATA
interconnect?
From: Jim Ockers <ockers at ockers.net>
Date: Fri, July 02, 2010 10:41 am
To: CLUE technical discussion <clue-tech at cluedenver.org>

Hi CLUEbies,

I am working on a project which requires modular storage in an
industrial environment.  I am thinking about trying to use "external"
hard drives for the data storage.  That is, the hard drives will be
separate modules.  I'd like to use ethernet with iSCSI as the
interconnect, so I can have many:many disk/server relationships, and
also do software RAID over the targets.

I've used the Linux iSCSI enterprise target (iet) software and it's
great.  I'm thinking that a disk with a little single board computer
or other microcontroller, with ethernet and SATA interfaces, could run
the iSCSI enterprise target and export the disk as a network block
device on the ethernet.  Ethernet gets us a bunch of other spiffy
advantages that we couldn't do with eSATA, firewire, USB, etc.

Do any of you know if anyone is making such a thing?  It doesn't have
to be in an industrial enclosure, we can make that (it would just have
power and ethernet connectors on the outside of the enclosure).
Inside the enclosure would be the disk and the little computer,
connected to each other via SATA.

We can make the system software for the little computer, including the
web cgi etc. for management and SMART, I just need somewhere from
which to source the hardware.  I looked around a bit and the only
external drive enclosures I see are eSATA and the like.

Thanks,
Jim
  --
Jim Ockers, P.Eng. (ockers at ockers.net)