[clue-tech] Fwd: external hard drive caddies with ethernet not SATA interconnect?

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Mon Jul 5 17:41:09 MDT 2010

Hey Gus,

YES NOPE9 wrote:
> How soon do you want this ?
> What is your price range ?
> Do you want GigaBit Ethernet ?
>
> These might help ...
> http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1035588411
> http://www.addonics.com/products/nas/NAS25HDU2.asp
> http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/t-guruplugdetails.aspx     $129
>   GuruPlug
>

> Gus

Thanks for that, I'd forgotten about the sheevaplug.  That is probably
closest to what I'm looking for, because I can connect a SATA hard drive
to the GuruPlug, and put my own kernel modules and software daemons on
there I think.  That means the iSCSI enterprise target (iet) would
probably work on there and would do what I want for providing a network
block device (NBD).  As for gigabit ethernet, I think probably 100 Mbps
ethernet is fast enough for most usage given that the rotating hard
drive is probably the slowest part of the system anyway.  Gigabit is
nice but you need to use jumbo frames.

Thanks for the Addonics NAS links, it looks like a pretty workable
product too.  If I could put my own firmware on that, it might be
perfect, but I don't see any links about loading my own firmware on
there.  I do need the iSCSI target.  I used to have a Linksys NSLU2
(slug) which I had my own firmware on, and I used it to make a huge
RAID1 mirror of 2 drives, but the 200MHz Xscale CPU was so slow that it
would take 24 hours to resync the array if it got shut down uncleanly,
which it did regularly because of some software issue I think.  (It was
even on a UPS.)

--
Jim Ockers, P.Eng. (ockers at ockers.net)
Contact info: http://www.ockers.ca/pason.html