[clue-tech] disk encryption

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Mon Jul 19 09:25:30 MDT 2010

Hi Dennis,

dennisjperkins at comcast.net wrote:
> Does anyone in the group use disk encryption?  If so, what kind?  I
> see LUKS and Truecrypt are available for both Linux and Windows, which
> would be a requirement since memory sticks or SD chips  would be used
> on both.

TrueCrypt is awesome, you should use it.  If I used it I would configure
big container files rather than encrypting the whole disk because
otherwise windows doesn't recognize the partition table or filesystem on
the USB disk and wants to initialize the disk or format it or something
when you plug it in.  If you leave the filesystem as VFAT then you can
create a bigfile.bin which is the container, and then use TrueCrypt to
mount that.

Also, the hidden volume feature is cool, you should play with that too
and see how it works.  Yes the same volumes can be mounted under Windows
and Linux.

Good luck,
Jim

--