[clue-tech] disk encryption

Maxwell Spangler maxlists at maxwellspangler.com
Mon Jul 19 11:31:25 MDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-07-19 at 14:07 +0000, dennisjperkins at comcast.net wrote:
> Does anyone in the group use disk encryption?  If so, what kind?  I
> see LUKS and Truecrypt are available for both Linux and Windows, which
> would be a requirement since memory sticks or SD chips  would be used
> on both.

LUKS disk encryption is available at install time on Fedora, so I've
been using it for a couple years to encrypt my drives.  Unlike
compression, I don't think this level of encryption has a noticeable
impact on disk performance and it lets me feel better knowing that if my
laptop was lost or stolen there is another level of complexity to keep
someone away from my data.

IMHO, LUKS has an impressive design that offers power with simplicity.
It's setup allows you to do things like encrypt a disk once but offer
multiple access keys to get to the data.  So you could setup a single
USB drive with critical data, put 5 different co-workers keys on it and
they all use their individual keys to access the data.

Happy with it and will continue to use it.

--
Maxwell Spangler
        Linux, Unix and Database Administration