[clue-tech] virtualization

Maxwell Spangler maxlists at maxwellspangler.com
Wed Jul 28 16:00:29 MDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-07-28 at 18:58 +0000, dennisjperkins at comcast.net wrote:
> How many of you are using virtualization?  I am testing Qemu-kvm and I
> know a couple of people are using VirtualBox.  And there is at least
> one VMWare fan.

On Fedora 12 on an AMD Phenom II 945 4 core with 6GB of RAM:

Using Virtualbox to perform desktop virtualization.  Mostly this means
running Windows in a VM to access iTunes, Visio and other apps simply
not available on Linux.

Not using Xen only because Fedora hasn't supported it natively since
Fedora 8.

Using KVM now to research what I think will be the default
virtualization technology for Linux in the future.

I think Vmware will be a key player for years to come because it has
marketshare now, high quality technology and an install base that is
growing.  It also has a high price and that works against some of the
major benefits of virtualization.

Because KVM is Open Source and highly supported by Redhat I'm hoping it
has a future similar to that of Linux.  If the entire Linux community
can support and contribute to it, then it should be able to provide free
virtualization technology by default and low-cost, high quality
value-driven technology when customers choose to pay for it.  That's
been Linux' success all along and KVM looks like an extension to it.

--
Maxwell Spangler
        Linux, Unix and Database Administration