[clue-tech] virtualization

Shawn Perry redmop924 at comcast.net
Wed Jul 28 22:42:33 MDT 2010

I'm the Proxmox guy David Willson mentioned.  It's basically a bare
metal install of Debian Lenny 64 with OpenVZ (container) and KVM with
live migration all managed through a nice web interface, including
virtual consoles.

My own personal install that I use for my home server as well as
clients is a base Debian Lenny 64 install converted to Proxmox with X,
java, and iceweasel installed to maintain it (none of it is running
unless my other testing machine is down).  Very memory efficient.

I generally run OpenVZ containers whenever I can as I can get direct
hardware access with it, such as USB, video capture cards for MythTV,
telephony cards for Asterisk, and disks/partitions.  This is all if I
allow it, and all the processes run natively as if they were in a
chroot on steroids.  I'm even looking into putting LTSP in a couple
containers.  I've not run MythTV or Asterisk in it yet, as I've not
had the time, but I see many people on the net that are.

For Windows/Solaris/BSD, I use the full KVM virtualization.  I do my
accounting on one as it makes my account happy and she charges me
less.

On my laptop, I generally use Virtualbox for testing as well as a
heavily modified Windows XP install for office work  I love seamless.

Shawn