[clue-tech] virtualization

Maxwell Spangler maxlists at maxwellspangler.com
Thu Jul 29 18:52:07 MDT 2010

Hey,

I have a failed/failing SATA disk over here.  Can you recommend any
tools I can run on it to test it in depth and or try to recover data?

It fails a BIOS driven SMART read test 3 seconds into it.  I can boot
grub on it and attempt to load a kernel but it runs into problem long
before single user mode might be accessable.  I can boot a USB stick and
see it sick in the logs.

I have backups of the two important things in my life (email and photos)
but it'd be nice to have one last peek at what was in my /home directory
and pull off anything interesting.  If not, I just RMA it and install
another.

Thanks.

See you Saturday.

--