[clue-tech] Failing drive [was Re: virtualization]

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Sat Jul 31 06:50:10 MDT 2010

Hi Maxwell,

Maxwell Spangler wrote:

>> Whoops!  That was supposed to be a private message to Master Shawn
>> because I know he's got hard drive kung fu over there.
>>
>> I'm going to run SeaTools on it now just to confirm it's got problems.
>> Then I'm going to try to get to the data, but only for a little bit.
>>
>> I just wish I could do a more exploring on the drive to figure out what
>> the problem is.  This is less than 90 days old and just went kaput from
>> either a little bump or a bad power connection..
>>

> SeaTools repaired two bad sectors and now my system is bootable again
> with a loss of what, 512 bytes?
>
> Let this be a reminder to me, and you, to stop this weekend and backup
> your data.  You never know when two little sectors could bring your
> whole system down.
>
> Thanks, Seagate. Great way to start the weekend!

Could you please post the results of "smartctl -a /dev/hdX" for your
hard drive? I am interested to see the SMART information and extended
attributes (with counters) to see what this drive failure might "look"
like on the SMART output.

I am working on a large scale disk testing and failure analysis project.
(Not as large scale as google's, and specific to our usage, but they are
similar in concept.) Also I do SMART monitoring for my own hard drives
and in fact it was the SMART hard drives that informed me that the
internal fans had failed in one of my cases because the drives were 60C
(way overheated) and claiming they were about to fail.

Thanks a lot,
Jim