[clue-tech] Installfest gear.

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Tue Jun 1 17:28:02 MDT 2010

Jon Buttjer wrote:
> How about a group of available USB sticks - maybe 4-8GB sticks which are
> either loaners or for sale cheap?

Cheap huh?  How about "for profit"?  Can't I mark them up about 200% for the convenience? ;-)

I don't want the overhead of a loaner system, but for sale, or to use during the day, would be OK.

> Maybe we could also provide a quick instructional session (like the old KISS
> sessions from CLUE meetings) that shows in 15-30 min how to create a USB
> bootable stick for your favorite distro, with a flyer demonstrating the
> benefits of having a bootable distro?

I heard some talk about bootable USB and someone not doing something right.  Do you mean Linux on a
stick to use like a live CD, or an installer on a stick to replace install CDs?

I bring .isos but people have to ask to have them burned (so I have blanks too).  Maybe I should
write out a bootable USB instead (or offer the choice)?

> Depending on how much and how long it takes to build up the fund, how about
> a portable networked printer for lab use on Installfest days?

I didn't notice last weekend but up north they have a printer in the lab.  There shouldn't be any
issue with printing to it, should there (I tried once but I don't know much about CUPS)?  At the
very least down south there should be a printer in the break room.  Maybe we just need to document
how to set them up?

Thanks for the input!