[clue-tech] My perfect Linux ... if it exists

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sat Jun 19 16:53:19 MDT 2010

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 12:07 PM, David L. Willson <DLWillson at thegeek.nu> wrote:
> NVIDIA's downloadable drivers install just great on RHEL 5 / CentOS 5 / Fedora 6. What graphics do you have?
>
> Everything else (except specific statements about "not Ubuntu") seems to indicate that you're looking for Ubuntu 8.04.4 or 9.10. :-) And remember that 10.04 will get better over time. There is no 10.03 that I'm aware of.
>
> And have you tried SUSE 10?

NVIDIA's downloadable drivers install just great on almost any
kernel/distro I've tried in recent years. Have you tried the latest
PCLinuxOS? It's available with gnome/kde4/xfce/lxde/enlightenment
desktop variants. I tried it to get a version of the latest kde4, and
I put the lxde version on my netbook.

A word to the wise. The latest version of Firefox has had a bug
(outstanding for a LONG time) that causes excessive cpu utilization
with NVIDIA cards only. I'm not sure whether this is PCLOS specific or
generic, but there are scands of google entries. My desktop seldom
drops below 18% cpu at idle. I've chosen to ignore it, since I have
plenty of cpu power. No such probelm on the netbook (Intel video).

A second word to the wise, you FOSS hardy types may be greatly
offended. PCLOS does nothing to avoid the use of EVIL proprietary code
where it makes sense to provide a better usr experience.

--
Collins Richey