[clue-tech] My perfect Linux ... if it exists

Maxwell Spangler maxlists at maxwellspangler.com
Sat Jun 19 19:46:20 MDT 2010

On Sat, 2010-06-19 at 10:57 -0600, Jason Ash wrote:
> I'm looking for a very stable and quality controlled distribution. I'm
> not looking to start a heated debate on which distro is better than
> others, but I was wondering if anyone could suggest a distro based on
> the following criteria:
>
> 1. Compiled from stable sources with little or no modification that
> are well tested to work with other packages without problems. (In
> other words, I don't mind using a 2007/2008 version of a program if it
> won't break on me).
> 2. Quality control tested with its packages on a variety of PC
> hardware
> 3. 3D acceleration available (After all, I like to play games, too).
> 4. Still somewhat easy to use without extensive manual configuration
> required.

What do you mean by breakage and to what extent?

I've been happily using Fedora for a very long time.  Normally I wait
30-45 days after a new release before upgrading one of my primary
systems.  At that point, problems are either fixed and included in
automatic updates or work-around and resolutions are available with
clever searching or consulting fedoraforum.org.

--
Maxwell Spangler
        Linux, Unix and Database Administration