[clue-tech] My perfect Linux ... if it exists

Keith Hellman khellman at mcprogramming.com
Sun Jun 20 00:12:44 MDT 2010

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 10:57:07AM -0600, Jason Ash wrote:
> 1. Compiled from stable sources with little or no modification that are well
> tested to work with other packages without problems. (In other words, I
> don't mind using a 2007/2008 version of a program if it won't break on me).
> 2. Quality control tested with its packages on a variety of PC hardware
> 3. 3D acceleration available (After all, I like to play games, too).
> 4. Still somewhat easy to use without extensive manual configuration
> required.

I've had success running debian testing.  I've experienced pretty
minimal breakage of packages, but perhaps I'm lucky.

On machines with NVIDIA cards, I've install the *NVidia* published
versions of their drivers.  Their installation is pretty straightforward
and they can be uninstalled easily as well.

Just my 2c
--
Keith Hellman                             #include <disclaimer.h>
khellman at mcprogramming.com                from disclaimer import standard
khellman at mines.edu
                                   -*-
                    public key @ pgp.mit.edu 9FCF40FD
    Y!M: mcprogramming                           AIM/ICQ: 485403897
   gtalk (xmpp jabber): mrtuple at jabber.org, jabber at mcprogramming.com
                                   -*-

"But VCs are mistaken to look for the next Microsoft, because no startup
can be the next Microsoft unless some other company is prepared to bend
over at just the right moment and be the next IBM."

-- http://www.paulgraham.com/gh.html