[clue-tech] Troubleshooting ppp.

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Tue Mar 23 18:50:26 MDT 2010

So I'm late working on this, and later following up.  But Jim Ockers rocks!

Jim Ockers wrote:
> I think your PPP is probably working fine. What is the command line that
> was used to start pppd? Is it running as a child process of some other
> parent process? Is there some way you can make pppd get started by init
> or run it from the command line? (Make sure you use the -detach command
> line option if you start it with init!)
[...]
> You could just try running pppd on the command line and not from any
> dialer program and see if it still dies this way.

You were right, PPP was fine.  I tried using kppp and once I figured out how the user name and
password were translated it connects fine.  So now I don't need the silly Java app that Juno uses as
a front end.  I'm really glad of that.

I don't know why pppd was getting killed so quickly.  Maybe something changed that prevented the
Juno app from recognizing the connection.

So thanks for giving me pointers that got me thinking about the different things happening and how
to pick them apart.