[clue-tech] sound on Hardy

Jed S. Baer cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net
Fri Mar 26 18:44:41 MDT 2010

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 17:46:15 -0600
Bill Smith wrote:

> Here you go Jed. What did I just do? The MB evidently has a Sigmatel
> audio chip and they are out of business, so no help there.

You've listed the loaded kernel modules, filtered through grep on the
string 'snd'. So, you can see that the kernel module (equivalent to a
"driver") for hda_intel is loaded. What's a Sigmatel? I'll assume that's
a chipset designation of some sort.

> I did this:   cat /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp     and no sound, but It (the
> sound) works in windows

Hmmph!

> caelinux at bill-desktop:~$ lsmod | grep snd
> snd_hda_intel         442328  3
> snd_usb_audio         100384  1
> snd_seq_dummy           5764  0
> snd_pcm_oss            47648  0
> snd_mixer_oss          20224  1 snd_pcm_oss
> snd_pcm                92296  3 snd_hda_intel,snd_usb_audio,snd_pcm_oss
> snd_page_alloc         13200  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
> snd_seq_oss            38912  0
> snd_usb_lib            21120  1 snd_usb_audio
> snd_seq_midi           10688  0
> snd_seq_midi_event     10112  2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
> snd_rawmidi            29856  2 snd_usb_lib,snd_seq_midi
> snd_seq                63232  6
> snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
> snd_hwdep              12552  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_usb_audio
> snd_timer              27912  2 snd_pcm,snd_seq snd_seq_device
> 10644  5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq
> snd                    70984  21
> snd_hda_intel,snd_usb_audio,snd_seq_dummy,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_seq_oss,snd_usb_lib,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_hwdep,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
> soundcore              10400  1 snd usbcore               170288  9
> snd_usb_audio,pwc,snd_usb_lib,usbhid,usb_storage,libusual,ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd

But with the mention of Sigamtel, trying Teh Ghougle:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=sigmatel+audio+linux&btnG=Search&lr=lang_en

I didn't read a lot of that, but it sounds like a driver bug, fixed in
Intrepid. Any reason you're running Hardy and not a later release?

Just out of curiosity, how about the output from

$ lspci

which will list all the devices Linux finds on the PCI bus. Should have
specifics on your audio hardware.

--
Ok, so we should be thinking of a lovable, cuddly, stuffed penguin
sitting down after having gorged itself on herring. Still with me?