[clue-tech] [spam?] EncFS - file encryption using Fuse

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Wed May 12 16:39:39 MDT 2010

Hi,

Jed S. Baer wrote:
> This came up in discussion after the meeting last night.
>
> Seems pretty spiffy. Certain meta-data is not encrypted, but contents
> are. For low-level paranoia, or just data security without any black
> helicopter overtones, it's a good solution. IANBS, so can't testify to
> whether the implementation has any cryptographic flaws.
>
> jed

Unfortunately I wasn't there for your discussion (but I would have liked
to be), so I don't know if TrueCrypt was discussed as a means of
encrypting data on hard drives. I don't know what "black helicopter"
overtones are but there are lots of nosy people out there.

I have been using TrueCrypt as a matter of course for some time now, for
any data that is probably not any business of people who might feel the
need to snoop through computer systems that I use or travel with.
TrueCrypt is very easy to use, and the plausible deniability feature is
interesting too. :) It seems to be fairly well designed and implemented
and works on Linux Windows and other platforms I think.

Just my $0.02 worth,
Jim