[clue-tech] EncFS - file encryption using Fuse

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Wed May 12 17:15:25 MDT 2010

Hi,

(scroll down :)

rjohnston at denverinternet.com wrote:
> On May 12, 2010 at 10:39 PM Jim Ockers <ockers at ockers.net> quoth :
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> Jed S. Baer wrote:
>>
>>> This came up in discussion after the meeting last night.
>>>
>>> Seems pretty spiffy. Certain meta-data is not encrypted, but contents
>>> are. For low-level paranoia, or just data security without any black
>>> helicopter overtones, it's a good solution. IANBS, so can't testify to
>>> whether the implementation has any cryptographic flaws.
>>>
>>> jed
>>>

>> Unfortunately I wasn't there for your discussion (but I would have liked
>> to be), so I don't know if TrueCrypt was discussed as a means of
>> encrypting data on hard drives. I don't know what "black helicopter"
>> overtones are but there are lots of nosy people out there.
>>
>> I have been using TrueCrypt as a matter of course for some time now, for
>> any data that is probably not any business of people who might feel the
>> need to snoop through computer systems that I use or travel with.
>> TrueCrypt is very easy to use, and the plausible deniability feature is
>> interesting too. :) It seems to be fairly well designed and implemented
>> and works on Linux Windows and other platforms I think.
>>

> yeah,
> like jed said  - it was after-meeting,
> but truecrypt did come up, because it is free - but we discussed that it isn't
> open.
> so the discussion went in the direction of what is available that is open source

I think TrueCrypt is open source.  From their web site
http://www.truecrypt.org/downloads2 (copied & pasted text):

"TrueCrypt - Free Open-Source Disk Encryption Software

Source Code
The complete source code (in C, C++ and assembly) of the latest stable
version of TrueCrypt."

Then there is a Windows (.zip) or MacOSX/Linux (.tar.gz) and a Download
button.

Now mind you there is a license of some sort that you have to agree to,
and I didn't read it just now, so that might make it not "open."  I
don't know if it really is truly"Free" software in the GNU sense, but
anyway it might be worth a look since you can get the source.

--
Jim Ockers, P.Eng. (ockers at ockers.net)
Contact info: http://www.ockers.ca/pason.html