[clue-tech] EncFS - file encryption using Fuse

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed May 12 18:20:18 MDT 2010

On Wed, 12 May 2010 17:15:25 -0600
Jim Ockers <ockers at ockers.net> wrote:

> I think TrueCrypt is open source.  From their web site
> http://www.truecrypt.org/downloads2 (copied & pasted text):
>
> "TrueCrypt - Free Open-Source Disk Encryption Software
>
> Source Code
> The complete source code (in C, C++ and assembly) of the latest
> stable version of TrueCrypt."
>
> Then there is a Windows (.zip) or MacOSX/Linux (.tar.gz) and a
> Download button.
>
> Now mind you there is a license of some sort that you have to agree
> to, and I didn't read it just now, so that might make it not "open."
> I don't know if it really is truly"Free" software in the GNU sense,
> but anyway it might be worth a look since you can get the source.

it's not acceptable for Fedora at least:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ForbiddenItems#TrueCrypt

And:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/distributions/2008-October/000276.html

Sadly, I think it's the case of technical folks trying to do their own
legal/license thing and because they are not lawyers failing to do what
they intend. It's sad that they are not listening to people do have
legal background to fix this. ;(

kevin