[clue-tech] DNS

Thu Nov 18 12:56:52 MST 2010

If a domain has a couple NS records setup at the registrar, what happens if one of name-servers is down? Do lookups fail back to the client or fail gracefully to the other NS with no notice to the client?

What if there are more than two name-servers? Are they all tried before a failure is reported, or just a certain number?

What if the name-server is up, but there's another sort of failure, like "no such domain" or something like that?

I am willing and able to look this up myself, or trace it out myself, but I'm short of time, so I thought I'd check if someone knew off the top of their head, and wanted to show off a bit.

David L. Willson
Trainer, Engineer, Enthusiast
MCT MCSE Network+ A+ Linux+ LPIC-1 NovellCLA UbuntuCP
tel://720.333.LANS
Freeing the world from the tyranny (or whatevery) of Microsofty-ness