[clue-tech] DNS

Thu Nov 18 15:05:38 MST 2010

Wow Will, you are tenacious.

God bless men that are willing to use the Source.

"Tenacious W" doesn't have the same ring as "Tenacious D".

David L. Willson
Trainer, Engineer, Enthusiast
MCT MCSE Network+ A+ Linux+ LPIC-1 NovellCLA UbuntuCP
tel://720.333.LANS
Freedom is better when you earn it. Learn Linux. Get Free.

----- "Will" <will.sterling at gmail.com> wrote:
> A Linux box will wait 5 seconds and then move on to the next server.

http://linux.die.net/man/5/resolver
" timeout: n sets the amount of time the resolver will wait for a response from a remote name server before retrying the query via a different name server. Measured in seconds, the default is RES_TIMEOUT (see < resolv.h > )."
http://linux.die.net/include/resolv.h
" # define RES_TIMEOUT 5 /* min. seconds between retries */"

> On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 2:49 PM, Will < will.sterling at gmail.com > wrote:

Microsoft Technet says that a Windows DNS server will wait three seconds for a DNS server to respond during a recursive lookup before moving on to the next server for the domain. I suspect BIND is similar but I do not see mention of it in the documentation.

On the client side a Windows machine will give it's preferred DNS server two seconds to respond before moving on to the next DNS server in its list. Again I could not find anything on the BIND light weight resolver.

dns will round robin through the servers- so on a no response it may retry but if it does get a response but bad data - it will cache that and stop.