[clue-tech] DNS

Nathan Duehr denverpilot at me.com
Thu Nov 18 16:28:36 MST 2010

On Nov 18, 2010, at 04:09 PM, "Jed S. Baer" <cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net> wrote:

I've posted this before, but since we're talking about DNS:
http://linuxgazette.net/170/lan.html

Jed, I have no idea how I missed that the last time you posted it, but as a former ISP DNS architect and server op, I about fell out of the chair laughing.

I had a whole lot of "Ralph's" to keep in sync.  36 of them out in the public eye, and 3 more hidden.  It was entertaining since back then there were two of us hand-editing thousands of zone files.  Also had to add a couple in Texas later when a customer blatantly abused the two that were there.

(No, you really don't need to do reverse DNS lookups on EVERY hit to your entire web server farm... really! But since you're paying the big bucks, here's a couple of cheap Celeron DNS boxes of your own to beat on.  We'll make it up in one month's bandwidth payments.  Stop taking down the DNS for the rest of the customer base, thanks!)

Was always such a treat when you typoed something in the config file and did a restart... (rolls eyes...)

At least I got to briefly meet Cricket Liu because of that job.  He fixed a problem that had been vexing a customer for a week, by finding a ROOT server that had a record out of sync, and he had the operator's cell phone number on speed dial... 5 minute fix.

It's always nice to have friends in low places! :-)

Since we weren't hosting that particular customer's DNS, I had just been keeping tabs on their "problem" without investigating it (had paid work to do...), but one morning when I heard "the customer hired Cricket Liu to look at it", I jogged quickly over to the data center to meet the guy who's name was on "my Bible" at the time.  "DNS & BIND."
Nate Duehr, denverpilot at me.com