[clue-tech] [clue-talk] VPS desires

NerdyNick nerdynick at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 09:19:06 MST 2010

A lot of what I've looked for when searching for good VPS are easy of
ability to fire up and take down new and old VPS's. Ideally it should
just be a push of a button. It shouldn't require me filling out a form
or contacting support. Hit build, select my build options, Hit done,
and wait for an email that says it complete. Tear downs should be hit
destroy button, confirm, done. This allows you to easly scale up and
down parts of your infrastructure as needed.

You should also be able to "Resize" a VPS machine. ie go from 10GB HD
to 20GB HD with minimal downtime. ie It should just entail a restart
at most. A lot of VPS setups say they need to take the machine down.
Rebuild it, then put it back online. Thats a lie. You can do rebuilds
live while the server is running. Then just simply restart and your
ready to go.

1 of the great features I think all vps's should over but very, very
few do is a private network. Which then opens up the possibility of
bandwidth pooling. That way I can have 1 web server and 1 DB, each
with 250GB Bandwidth. Allowing me to direct 500GB of bandwidth at the
Web server.

I have also seen problems with a lot of vps builds where the copy of
Ubuntu or what not is just limited and cut down way to much. Which
ends up resulting in what appears to be a very unstable build. So
thats 1 thing to keep in mind. The ideal build they should give you
should just be the Base OS + SSH and there Kernal mods that a lot of
VPS platforms need to do to get it to run better on VPS
infrastructures. That way you can commission a machine to be whatever
without of lot of extra lying around.

There is also the matter of billing. I'm still a fan of the pay x a
month and get y, but there is also the pay as you use it model. Like
how Amazon and Rackspace do there billing. The 1st is just easier to
manage, but can cost more if you have a high traffic site. The 2nd
will fluctuate a lot. So you never have a hard set of how much it will
be each month. Just a estimate. However the 2nd is great for extremely
high traffic sites. Its just a matter of estimating costs before hand.

Those are just the few things I like to look for before I commit to a
VPS. Right now I've been happy with SliceHost. They have been able to
fit my current checklist, and I have yet to have a problem.

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 8:26 AM, Crawford Rainwater
<crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.com> wrote:
> Folks:
>
> A few of us at Linux ETC were pondering and asking, what would we want with a VPS (virtual private server) hosting company features wise?  I figured I would post this out to the CLUE community and see what others desire for additional input.  Some thoughts we have are below.
>
> - Hard drive space of 2.5GB, 5GB, 10GB, 20GB, 40GB with ala carte in 2.5GB or 5GB additions.
> - Dedicated RAM in 512MB portions (e.g., 512MB, 1GB, 1.5GB, 2GB).
> - Dedicated IP per VPS with options to ala carte for more.
> - Gentoo, Ubuntu, CentOS, Debian, and Fedora templates or base VPS.
> - Web UI SSH access.
> - Monthly, quarterly, 6-month, and annual billing with the multiple months discounted.
> - Self managed for the most part (i.e., VPS issues within the container, you are on your own).  An option for "dedicated" or "managed" support perhaps.
>
> Thoughts, comments, and questions are welcomed.  For reference I get the CLUE-Talk and CLUE-Tech list in Digest format, so pardon any delays in responses on my end in advance.
>
> TIA.
>
> --- Crawford
>
> The Linux ETC Company
> 10121 Yates Court