[clue-tech] same partition, multiple distros questions

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sun Oct 3 23:02:18 MDT 2010

Mike Bean wrote:
> I wanted to ask, which partitions can belong to more then one distro?  If any?  And does it need
> to be a physical or logical part?

If everyone used a packager like nyx it might make more sense.  But a distro is so much more than
just a collection of application files that it probably doesn't.  Isn't Linux complex enough within
one distro already?

Physical and logical partitions are the same as far as anyone cares.  Each distro can mount
partitions of any other (including LVM, which would be more useful to play with).

So rather than try to share partitions between distros, what if you tried to run several distros at
once.  Put each one in its own space and then chroot to them and see how a Fedora desktop looks
compared to Ubuntu, "side by side".

Your main hangup I think would be incompatibility between the kernel gcc version and library gcc
versions.  But I don't know how awkward that would be.

I don't think that's practical, but it would be a neat demo, useful learning experience, and more
likely to succeed than shared partitions.