[clue-tech] Satellite RF or decoded TV signal redistribution in a MURB

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Wed Oct 6 14:04:52 MDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-10-06 at 11:03 -0600, Jim Ockers wrote:
> Hi CLUEbies,
>
> This isn't necessarily a Linux specific question but it is technical
> in nature and I'm not sure who/where to ask for advice.
>
> Suppose you have a complex of MURBs (multi unit residential buildings)
> with aesthetics bylaws prohibiting satellite dishes anywhere on the
> outside of the building.  Maybe 10-20% of residents want some sort of
> satellite TV.  There are acres of rooftop on which satellite dishes
> could be placed, but the individual residents don't have rooftop
> access, nor can they run wires from the roof into their suites.

I think you should look at how hotels handle this.  My understanding is
that there is one dish per satellite channel that feeds a box that
multiplexes the feed into a single cable line that feeds all the rooms.
That's how you get TV in hotels.  Well, some of them at least.

Can't remember what the box is called, but I've seen one online.  Just
have to find the right google for it.  I think I stumbled upon it while
looking for over-the-air antennas.

> However maybe there are some clever things we could do with MythTV or
> something?

A similar setup might be one satellite per channel feeding a MythTV
server with one card per channel.  This records all day and the
recordings could be piped via the local network to the apartments.

But the cost of the computers and capture cards may make it more cost
effective to find one of those multiplexing boxes.
--
Michael J. Hammel                                    Principal Software Engineer
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                           http://graphics-muse.org