[clue-tech] Windows 7 recommendation

kiawud kiawud at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 10:40:11 MDT 2010

Jason,

Just a few quick things to note:

If 'Encryption Anywhere' is installed and it encrypts the entire Hard Disk
(ie: GuardianEdge Hard Disk Encryption) then your options for dual booting
are pretty much gone.  I do not believe GuardianEdge is compatible with any
version of Linux at this moment.

If this is the case, then your options are:
  1) Boot Ubuntu from a USB stick (assuming your laptop can boot from USB
flash) and run the entire OS from the USB.  If there is enough space, you
could install VirtualBox (it's free ... for now) and run a virtual version
of Windows.  Of course, running from USB is slow and running a virtual OS
off of a USB is even slower.

 2) Purchase a second laptop drive to replace the current drive.  Install
Ubuntu on that drive (look into using Ubuntu's system/home dir encryption
options to stay somewhat in line with company IT policies) and install
VirtualBox ... so forth so on.

With Option 1, everything is on the USB and if/when you need to get back
into the company installed Win 7, just remove the USB.

With Option 2, whatever the company put on their drive is safe and untouched
while you have full control and access to your laptop.  Of course, if/when
you need to return the laptop and/or use the company installed OS, you'll
need to manually switch the drives.

A third possible option is if your laptop has E-SATA capabilities.  If so,
you can use an external SATA drive which is nearly as fast as an internal.
The downside being you'd need to carry a bulky external drive around with
you.

HTH,

-Hani

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 8:35 PM, Jason Friedman <jason at powerpull.net> wrote:

> Hi,
> I will be getting a laptop at the office shortly with pretty decent
> hardware and 4G of RAM.  Windows 7 will be preloaded and I will not
> have administrative rights.
> I run Ubuntu at home.
> I was hoping to run Ubuntu at the office, too, as most of my work
> requires a browser, SSH client, and mail client.  I will need to use
> Windows 7, too, from time-to-time throughout my day for specific
> applications that have no Linux equivalent.  Thus, a dual-boot
> solution would be awkward.
> Is it possible to boot into Ubuntu and then run Windows from it in a
> separate window?  I seem to recall having VMware installed on a
> computer some years back where I was able to do that.
> Your advice is appreciated.
> Jason

"If, of the many truths, you select only one and follow it blindly, it will
become a falsehood, and you a fanatic."