[clue-tech] Windows 7 recommendation

Jason Friedman jason at powerpull.net
Fri Oct 15 10:57:48 MDT 2010

> A third possible option is if your laptop has E-SATA capabilities.  If so,
> you can use an external SATA drive which is nearly as fast as an internal.
> The downside being you'd need to carry a bulky external drive around with
> you.

I have struck out so far.  I understand now that the Encryption
Anywhere probably would have doomed me, but even if that was not going
to be an issue, I could not even make a repair disk or shrink the
partition, because my Helpdesk configured my machine to require
administrative privileges to do so.  And, while there may be tools out
there that would allow me to circumvent those restrictions, they seem
risky, and I definitely do not want to be in a position where my
machine is unusable and I have to explain to my boss why.

I may consider purchasing a box with my own money.  My old work
desktop was a dual boot and I was able to connect to the company
network with it.  I can use remote-desktop to connect to the company
laptop when I need to.