[clue-tech] Partial network problem

June Tate-Gans june at theonelab.com
Thu Sep 2 08:24:21 MDT 2010

If I'm not mistaken, the hosts line in your nsswitch.conf file tells glibc
to query the /etc/hosts file and then mDNS, but if it doesnt find the host
name in mDNS [NOTFOUND=return] tells it to immediately give up before it can
check standard DNS. As a result, any changes you make to /etc/resolv.conf
will never be used.

You may want to adjust that line a bit to something like this:

     hosts: files dns mdns4_minimal mdns4

Really, all three systems (files, dns, mdns) for resolving names are equally
authoritative, so forcing one to return and stop the lookup through the
chain is not helpful. This may be why your system isn't getting valid

I am, however, unsure as to what the differences are between mdns4_minimal
and mdns4 so the order of those two may need to be adjusted. Personally,
unless I have a /really/ good reason to use mDNS, I typically remove it
altogether -- but then, I don't like avahi and its ilk anyway, so take that
with a huge grain of salt.

On Sep 2, 2010 6:28 AM, "Jason Friedman" <jason at powerpull.net> wrote:

> Jason Friedman wrote:
>> $ dig www.google.com
>> <snip>
>> www.google.com.               603906  I...
$ grep -v '^#' /etc/resolv.conf
domain domain.actdsltmp
search domain.actdsltmp
nameserver 192.168.0.1
nameserver 205.171.2.65

$ grep -v '^#' /etc/nsswitch.conf
passwd:         compat
group:          compat
shadow:         compat
hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4
networks:       files
protocols:      db files
services:       db files
ethers:         db files
rpc:            db files
netgroup:       nis

I changed to a different ethernet card (eth1) and that has seemed to
help, though I cannot reach certain sites (timeouts).  I will comment
out "nameserver 192.168.0.1" and try eth2 again.

http...