[clue-tech] Standalone Linux flash player executable?

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Mon Sep 20 07:22:54 MDT 2010

Hi Jason,

Jason Ash wrote:
> I'm not sure if this will work for a kiosk, but VLC media player plays
> nearly every video format out there including flash SWF files. I know
> it has a full-screen mode. It's free GPL software, too. See
> http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ It's available for Windows, Mac, Linux,
> Solaris, and BSD.

Interesting idea.  This would never have occurred to me and I will have
to try it.  Our application is interactive, but I know VLC can interact
with the user because of the way it handles DVD menu items.  Our kiosk
application changes screens and screen content based on mouse clicks
(well, touch screen touches actually) but that is more or less the same
general idea as clicking on a DVD menu item.

Thanks for the tip!  If I get a chance to try it I will let you know how
it worked.

Thanks,
Jim

--