[clue-tech] Samba problamba

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Mon Sep 20 20:28:53 MDT 2010

David L. Willson wrote:
> Mike and Dave,
>
> I have RTFM'd a lot. I'm sorry for my poor question.

I noticed your jibe about not being helpful at installfest (pity you didn't bring the machines there
so we could investigate more thoroughly).  But I was doing something interesting so I ignored you.

I don't have Samba box with your problem, nor have I ever run one as a member server.  But the docs
at http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/ seem pretty easy to follow.

However, you didn't tell us anything about the domain controller.  Is it NT?  Is it AD?  Is it
Samba, preciousssss?  So I have no idea how to tell you what the right settings are.

So you can read about security modes (chapter 3) and domain membership (chapter 6) and I think
you'll find a difference between the recommended settings and yours.  And if not, you might make
sure your samba install is current and intact, drop your config, and write it from scratch following
the guide.  If you do it in small steps I think you'll be successful.