[clue-tech] Standalone Linux flash player executable?

marcus hall marcus at tuells.org
Mon Sep 20 21:10:20 MDT 2010

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 04:47:54PM -0600, Michael J. Hammel wrote:

> http://www.graphics-muse.org/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=BeagleBox.BeagleBox
>
> The basic idea is to build a device that can allow non-Internet ready
> TVs to hook into online video using a low cost device.  BeagleBox is a
> prototype for that device based on the BeagleBoard.  It isn't low cost
> enough to make it production ready, but its a cool DIY project similar
> to what people used to do with MiniMyth and Via mini-ITX boards.

That's a lot of work to be doing just yourself.  Good progress so far!

Have you looked at the PopBox hardware?  That seems to be doing the same
sort of thing that you want to do, and it's got volume production behind
it so that the whole thing is $129.  Now, the device itself isn't
particularly user hackable as far as I can tell, but I haven't really
looked into it much with the thought of just using the hardware and running
your own software...  They do have some setup to have user-developed
flash-based apps running on it, and they can play media from servers on
your home network, or you-tube or netflix streaming videos, etc.

Other hardware that may be worth considering is the boxee-box, western
digital, and several other media players around...

Not that you want to start over of course, but with this sort of thing
entering the market, I think it validates the direction that you are
heading.

Good luck!

marcus hall
marcus at tuells.org