[clue-tech] remote access to Windows network from Linux

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Sep 23 11:01:25 MDT 2010

  On 9/23/2010 10:34 AM, David L. Willson wrote:
> Freeing people from the tyranny (or whatevery) of Microsofty-ness

But adding the tyrrany of silly network policies, like turning off ICMP
Echo Request! :-)

I'd like to say I am just kidding, but I'm not.  :-)

If the only benefit is that the "morons" can FIND machines, it's still
useless.  Guess what?  Networks are full of machines.  They're damn easy
to find in other ways.

Spoofed ARP requests work great.  In fact, most OS's use it to make sure
their IP isn't assigned anywhere on the local LAN before they accept
DCHP addresses.

And any "moron" can figure that out and work around blocked ICMP...

Nate