[clue-tech] remote access to Windows network from Linux

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Thu Sep 23 13:10:11 MDT 2010

Hi David,

David L. Willson wrote:
> Jim,
>
> I don't know if I'm a "senior" network engineer. I know I'm a darn
> busy one. Maybe I'm a darn busy doofus? I will say that you walk your
> talk, though. Even "www.ockers.net" is ping-able. I ... can't honestly
> say I agree with leaving that on, but I see value in your consistency. :-)
Thanks for reminding me, I need to put up a legit web site there.  :)

> When I recommend turning it off, BTW, I'm referring mostly to
> ping-sweeps, not to smurf/POD/DDOS attacks. A ping-sweep of a range is
> often a moron's first step in "target discovery" and sometimes it's
> just wiser to avoid the morons.
There are lots of ways of discovering a "target" and ping is just a
convenience.  If your server gets h4x0red as a result of someone finding
it via ping, then you have bigger security problems than the fact that
ping was enabled.

I still think it's useful to leave ping enabled and then if someone is
abusing it by flooding you something like that then you can address the
problem on a case by case basis.  The usefulness of ICMP almost always
outweighs the risks of turning it off, IMHO.  (Except for certain very
risky cases, but those would be the exception, not the rule.)

Jim