[clue-tech] I want to know how to probe for wireless hardware

YES NOPE9 yes at nope9.com
Wed Jan 12 18:40:03 MST 2011

On Jan 12, 2011, at 5:07 PM, Jim Ockers wrote:

Hi Gus,

YES NOPE9 wrote:
> I have two laptops that I am trying to get wireless working on.
> One is Dell Inspiron 5100.
> One is a Gateway 450ROG.
> I have Debian squeeze installed on both of them.
>
> First I would like to determine what wireless hardware they have.
> Second I would like to install the correct wifi driver.
> #3  I would like to use the wireless.
>
> Any suggestions are appreciated.  Would a Knoppix live CD help with the probing ?
>
> Gus in Denver  99gus

lspci (maybe with -vvv options) will show you what hardware is on a PCI
bus. If you have other buses (USB?) that the wireless hardware is on
then you might have to do some other detective work.

As for drivers and tools to use them, that might be a manual process
unless your distribution is designed for it. Can you try Ubuntu?

Jim

--
Jim Ockers, P.Eng. (ockers at ockers.net)
Contact info: http://www.ockers.ca/pason.html

lspci worked on the Gateway laptop and i was able to get the proper driver by intergoogling.
The Dell is not showing wireless support
Gus in Denver  99gus