[clue-tech] I want to know how to probe for wireless hardware

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 18:47:49 MST 2011

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 5:53 PM, YES NOPE9 <yes at nope9.com> wrote:
> I have two laptops that I am trying to get wireless working on.
> One is Dell Inspiron 5100.
> One is a Gateway 450ROG.
> I have Debian squeeze installed on both of them.
>
> First I would like to determine what wireless hardware they have.
> Second I would like to install the correct wifi driver.
> #3  I would like to use the wireless.

1. As others have stated use the lspci, lsusb, and lspcmcia tools to
discover the hardware chips.

2. You might try the latest ubuntu if you can boot from cdrom to see
if you can activate the wireless. If so, you can check to see which
modules were loaded an compare the kernel versions vs. Debian squeeze.

3. If all else fails, you'll need to try one of the myriad procedures
for loading and using window drivers.

Not a fun process.

If you haven't done so, try goodling for the specific   laptop model
numbers with linux and wireless.

--
Collins Richey