[clue-tech] I want to know how to probe for wireless hardware

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Wed Jan 12 23:33:16 MST 2011

YES NOPE9 wrote:
> First I would like to determine what wireless hardware they have.
> Second I would like to install the correct wifi driver.

I'd guess that a reasonably old wireless will come with a driver in a reasonably new kernel.  It's
rare in that case to have to fool with drivers but Google will tell you the right one (there are
some good Linux wireless sites).

At installfest I've done drivers that needed a kernel upgrade, additional driver packages, fwcutter
(which runs automatically in Ubuntu, anyway--slick), and even ndiswrapper (ugh).  None are too hard
once you get a hint at the right approach.

So you're only about a week away if you need help.

Dell's user guide doesn't mention wireless in the specs.