[clue] SElinux for home use

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Mon Apr 11 11:04:01 MDT 2011

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 19:49:02 -0600
Mike Bean <beandaemon at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm curious about something clue-bees, I'm wondering if anyone can
> provide some insight.   Does it make any sense to use SElinux at home
> inside a firewall?   Is there a practical benefit or is it one of
> those things you're just better off disabling?

It's an additional layer of security. Do you drive with a seat belt on?

These days I try and leave it on... and for most standard setups, it
shouldn't get in your way too much. There's lots of tools around it now
to report why it's doing something or how to fix it.

See for example:
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/13/html-single/Security-Enhanced_Linux/index.html

I find that it's a good layer to leave enabled these days, YMMV.

kevin