[clue] [TECH] Is there a way to dump a system configuration?

Brian Gibson bwg1974 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 12 13:32:36 MDT 2011

This is probably directed at server admins, but it can apply to desktop users as
well.  Is there a way to dump an existing system's configuration into a single
script file that can be executed from a fresh install?  The script doesn't have
to be comprehensive, but getting 100% coverage of all customizations from a
stock install would be a bonus.

I know 'yum list installed' or 'dpkg -l' will list installed packages, but
they're very verbose and would require parsing to turn into an executable
script.  It would be nice if the method would be able to condense the script
into the least number of commands required by leveraging meta-packages.

If there's an alternative approach to automating the documentation and
replication of a system configuration, I'm all ears.  For example, I'm aware of
imaging, but that handles the replication and not necessarily the documentation.

-Brian