[clue] Impressions on 11.04?

Dan Kulinski daniel at kulinski.net
Fri Apr 29 15:30:31 MDT 2011

I have to add my 2 cents here.  I have loaded 11.04 into a VM so I can play
with Unity.  Unity is certainly different, so different in fact that my
first reaction is a very negative one.  If you plan on doing serious work
right off the bat then I would suggest sticking with the classic interface
which is Gnome 2, not Gnome Shell/Gnome 3.

Over the coming weeks I will continue to play with Unity to see if there is
any appeal for me.

Also, one thing to keep in mind right now is that there is a power
management regression in 11.04 which on average consumes 10%to 30% more
power than Ubuntu 10.10.

Finally, I don't buy into the complaints of overhead, lock down, etc.
Ubuntu is Linux.  While they encourage you to do things in a certain
fashion, such as sudo, there is nothing preventing you from changing that or
so many other aspects.  If you want to recompile packages, download the
source deb package and rebuild.

I am not championing Ubuntu, but I think a lot of the words used to describe
it on this list are very shortsighted.  Personally I am on RHEL4 and RHEL5
machines all day.  I find these systems greatly comforting because of their
stability.  Strangely enough that same feature can also be frustrating.

Dan Kulinski