[clue] Impressions on 11.04?

Matt Dew marcoz at osource.org
Fri Apr 29 15:35:51 MDT 2011

On 04/29/2011 02:25 PM, adam bultman wrote:
> Ubuntu is*easy*.  That's the beauty. I spend more time working than I
> do tweaking things.  That's a good thing, for me anyway.

This is why Ubuntu is the most popular desktop distro and eventually
will win on the server.

Like it or not, ubuntu IS the most popular desktop linux distro  and
until other distros understand what makes Ubuntu popular, Ubuntu will
stay #1 (on the desktop)

Example:
   Install mysql server.

On rhel5 (I think 6 is stil the same), you still have to manually change
the mysql root password.

ubuntu pops up a window (or ncurses screen in text mode) and asks you
for an admin password DURING THE INSTALL.

Yes, I know this particular polish is a debian thing, but it's this
little polish that the other distros don't think is a big deal is why so
many people use Ubuntu.

It's only a couple extra easy steps right?  Multiple that by all the
things you do on all the machines you do them on.

just my two cents.
Matt