[clue] Impressions on 11.04?

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Sat Apr 30 08:57:42 MDT 2011

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 15:35:51 -0600
Matt Dew <marcoz at osource.org> wrote:

> On 04/29/2011 02:25 PM, adam bultman wrote:
> > Ubuntu is*easy*.  That's the beauty. I spend more time working than
> > I do tweaking things.  That's a good thing, for me anyway.
> >

> This is why Ubuntu is the most popular desktop distro and eventually
> will win on the server.

I don't think the two always follow there. ;)
What desktop users want and what server users want sometimes don't
overlap too much.

...snip...

> Example:
>    Install mysql server.
>
> On rhel5 (I think 6 is stil the same), you still have to manually
> change the mysql root password.
>
> ubuntu pops up a window (or ncurses screen in text mode) and asks you
> for an admin password DURING THE INSTALL.
>

> Yes, I know this particular polish is a debian thing, but it's this
> little polish that the other distros don't think is a big deal is why
> so many people use Ubuntu.
>
> It's only a couple extra easy steps right?  Multiple that by all the
> things you do on all the machines you do them on.

I personally find the rpm feature of not soliciting user imput on
install/upgrade nice. ;)

Picture the above, but trying to install on 10 machines. Wouldn't it be
nicer to just install and then script setting up the root mysql pass?
Or perhaps you are just dumping your own db there with it's already set
password and asking you to set one is a waste of time. ;)

Anyhow, use what you like and works for you.

kevin