[clue] external storage issues

Dennis J Perkins dennisjperkins at comcast.net
Wed Aug 17 16:52:11 MDT 2011

I don't know if anyone in CLUE has seen these issues, If you have, do you have a solution?

Two Seagate FreeAgent drives quit working properly with Windows.  Windows could still see them but writing would fail.  Linux couldn't write to them either.  I
reformatted them and put a fileystem back on, and they work again.

I have a couple of USB memory keys that I use with Windows and Linux.  I can't write to them from Linux anymore but Windows can.  I can probably reformat them
and be able to write to them again, but I'm trying to find out what happened.  The keys that I use only with Windows have never had this problem.  I'm guessing
that Windows did something to those two keys.

The Seagate is automatically mounted so only root can write to it.  My Passport, on the other hand, mounts so a normal user can write to it.  I might need to dig
down into the udev configuration to find out what is happening.  Maybe the Seagate is being identified as a 3 1/2" internal drive; it's certainly big enough for it.