[clue] Looking for Someone to help me setup a Linux server with VM's

Thu Aug 25 16:48:17 MDT 2011

> On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 03:55:18PM -0600, Larry Sawyer wrote:
> > Upon a friends recommendation, I recently installed VMWare
> > (OpenSource) on a
> > production server at a fairly large training facility here in
> > Denver. It was
> > explained to me that VMWare's OpenSource version was free. Now I'm
> > receiving
> > an error that states my Evaluation License is About to Expire. VM's
> > will
> > cease to work after 38 days. Does anyone know if there is a "Free"
> > OpenSource VMWare program out there (Pirated Doesn't Count), or a
> > fix for
> > this?
>

> I don't believe that there is a VMWare version that is Open Source.
>  There
> is a version (actually several) that is "free" (gratis).  However, it
> sounds like you have installed a version that is a non-free (in any
> sense)
> product.

ESXi (the hypervisor) is free, but only parts are Free/libre/open source.
The hypervisor defaults to install as an evaluation of the standard, non-free product.
You probably want to end your evaluation of the non-free product and use the free product. You do that by entering your free product code (you probably got it in email, but you can also find it on their web-site by trying to download again) in the vSphere console.
Try this link for details:
http://communities.vmware.com/message/1815758

--
David